Breaking down the new Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom trailer
The original Jurassic Park, released in 1993, was epic for its time, with a compelling and suspenseful story, life-like animatronics and vivid CGI. Based on Michael Crichton’s exceptional novel, the movie rights were purchased before the book was even released. As for the film, who can forget Jeff Goldbum (as Dr. Ian Malcolm) enlightening us on chaos theory, just before everything goes to hell? Or Sir Richard Attenborough’s portrayal of delusional park founder John Hammond, whom as everything comes crashing down, takes the time to tell us how he “spared no expense” on ice cream?
The film spawned two sequels over the next eight years, both very entertaining but neither as successful, before the franchise seemed to become extinct. But all was not lost. Jurassic World saw the park reopen in 2015, giving us Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard at the helm of the newest adventure, and audiences clearly loved it—it's one of the highest grossing movies of all time. So it’s no surprise a sequel to the sequel is on its way! Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom will arrive in June, with a new trailer having just dropped. Here’s our analysis:
- Owen and Claire seem to be have had some kind of bad breakup since the end of Jurassic World threw them together. Owen in particular looks pretty bitter. I’m assuming this new adventure will reunite them?
- Velociraptors have been featured predominantly in all the Jurassic Park movies to date, and this one looks like no exception. In the new film it appears Owen is returning to save Blue, the alpha velociraptor he personally raised and trained, and the other dinosaurs from the Island. This new mission is a crazy turn of developments, considering the dangers, as previous rescue expeditions to the park (Jurassic Park: The Lost World and Jurassic Park III) were all about saving human lives.
- The island appears to be on the brink of exploding. Didn't anyone tell these people not to build a theme park on top of an active volcano??
- A third of the way through the trailer, it looks like Owen is about get eaten by a dinosaur when another interferes and saves his life. Interestingly enough, it’s not Blue!
- Jeff Goldblum will be returning as Dr. Ian Malcolm. Yessssss! It doesn’t look like he makes it to the actual park to join in on the action though, it appears he is testifying at some kind of official inquiry. That’s disappointing but at least he gets some great lines, like: “These creatures were here before us. If we’re not careful, they’re gonna be here after.” Clearly Malcolm is the voice of reason (a voice I suspect nobody is going to listen to…until it’s too late).
- The always reliable James Cromwell is apparently in the movie, reportedly playing the business partner of John Hammond, but there’s no sign of him here. Hopefully we’ll catch a glimpse of him in a future trailer.
- Always loved the soundtrack, glad to see they haven’t changed it. It always inspires in me a sense of awe, and I can’t wait to return to this Jurassic World.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom will be in Cineplex theatres on June 22. In the meantime, we're watching the trailer on repeat!
For all the latest trailers, click here!