We go behind the scenes with the cast of Shazam!, and get a sneak peek at where all the action takes place.
Zachary Levi, Mark Strong, Jack Dylan Grazer, Asher Angel
David F. Sandberg
April 5, 2019
It’s always exciting to recognize a familiar place in a movie, and that will definitely be the case for Torontonians watching Shazam!. This DC superhero story might take place in Philadelphia, but its Canadian backdrop is very clear.
Check out our inside look and interviews with the cast in our video, and see Shazam! In theatres on April 5th.
Need to brush up on the new hero before the film? Check out five fast facts about Shazam!
1. Shazam is an acronym that stands for the six ancient heroes whose powers our superhero possesses — Solomon (wisdom), Hercules (strength), Atlas (stamina), Zeus (power), Achilles (courage) and Mercury (speed).
2. Zachary Levi has described the film as a cross between Big, which starred Tom Hanks as a kid who suddenly finds himself in an adult body, and Superman. Strangely, a week after Shazam! comes out another Big-like movie hits theatres, only in reverse. Little stars Regina Hall as a mean executive who’s turned back into her childhood self (Black-ish star Marsai Martin).
3. Though set in Philadelphia, the film was shot in and around Toronto. You can spot a ton of Toronto locations in the trailer, including Danforth Tech high school, a TTC subway train and the exterior of Greenwood station.
4. In the early comic books Shazam, who first appeared in 1939, was known as Captain Marvel. But there is no connection to the Marvel superhero featured in the Captain Marvel movie aside from the fact that the introduction of the latter Captain Marvel in the 1960s forced the creators of Shazam, who’d been on hiatus since 1952, to change his name.
5. Shazam! is the seventh installment in the films of the DC Extended Universe following Man of Steel (2013), Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Suicide Squad (2016), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League (2017) and Aquaman (2018).
Shazam! is for the kid in all of us.
This fun-loving, family friendly superhero film has something for everyone, and it’s genuinely laugh out loud funny. Shazam! will remind you of what it was like to be a kid with a dream, and it packs a lot of heart.